To learn more about our diabetes education sessions:
Diabetes education is an outpatient program for adults with diabetes or the parents of children with diabetes to learn to help manage the condition and make healthy choices. Since family support and involvement are important, a support person is encouraged to attend with the participant. Diabetes education provides education and guidance specifically tailored to the needs of each individual. To find out if you qualify, please contact your physician.
Our diabetes education addresses the following:
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Diabetes disease process
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Acute and chronic complications
- Psychosocial issues
- Health and behavior changes
The Newman Regional Health diabetes education program maintains the American Diabetes Association Award of Education Recognition for quality diabetes patient education since December 1998. The diabetes education team consists of dedicated professionals who have an interest and additional education in diabetes management.
Enroll in diabetes education by obtaining a referral and individualized treatment plan from your physician. Many insurance companies are now paying for diabetes education programs if ordered by a physician. Day and evening classes are available. Call (620) 343-6800, ext. 21803 for information.
The selection of diabetic shoes at Newman Medical Equipment is hand-picked for its ability to treat the diabetic foot with close attention to fashion.
They know looking good while you take care of your health is important.
Schedule of Events
2020 Diabetes Community Health Fair – APRIL 16, Anderson Building, Lyon County Fair Grounds, 4:30-6:00 PM (CANCELLED due to COVID-19 response plan)
- Blood glucose, blood pressure and foot screenings will be offered. Diabetes education information will be available regarding nutrition, medications, complications, foot care and exercise.
- Guest speaker: Wilma Malone, RD, LD, CDE – “Healthy Carbs to Stay in Charge of Your Diabetes”
- Refreshments are served and Gift Bags will be available.
2020 Diabetes Support Group Meetings – Continuing Education Classroom – 2nd Floor, Newman Regional Health 1301 W. 12th Ave, Emporia, KS 66801: 7 – 8:00 pm
- March 3 – Diabetes and Eye Care – Dr. David Miller, optometrist
- June 2 – Managing Stress- Libby Chanley, LMSW (CANCELLED due to COVID-19 response plan)
- Sept 1 – Vaccinations and Infection Prevention- Esther Knobloch, RN (CANCELLED due to COVID-19 response plan)
- Nov 3 – Grocery Store Tour at Country Mart – Wilma Malone, RD (CANCELLED due to COVID-19 response plan)
- Refreshments will be served and no reservation is necessary.
- The purpose of this group is to create a climate of support and education that will assist attendees’ efforts with their diabetes care, and/or the care of their friend or family member.
To learn more about our diabetes education sessions, contact us today.