100 Years – A Century of Caring
Newman Memorial County Hospital was founded on March 6, 1922, and named in honor of a local businessman, George W. Newman, who donated $50,000 upon his death in February 1919 specifically intended for the creation of a local hospital. The total cost for building the hospital, including furnishings, was about $300,000. The additional funds were raised through a two-year tax levy.
Approximately 4,500 – 5,000 people visited the hospital at its open house on March 4 and 5, 1922. Visitors marveled at some of the state-of-the-art features within the new hospital, including water fountains on each floor featuring cool drinking water, running hot and cold water in each patient room, a baked enamel laundry chute, and the “miraculous” call buttons in each patient room.
This legacy of quality, local healthcare and community spirit has spurred many changes since 1922. Facility improvements have included the addition of the East wing in 1950 to add more patient rooms, the West wing in 1963 to create a pediatric unit, and the South wing in 1980 to add even more patient rooms to address the community’s growing needs.
Newman Medical Plaza, a four-story physician office building was completed in 1996. Central Care Cancer Center, featuring medical and radiation oncology treatment, was completed in 2003. In December 2003, the Inpatient Rehabilitation unit opened. Newman Medical Equipment, a durable medical equipment business, opened in the spring of 2004.
Newman Medical Partners opened their Orthopedics clinic in 2006, Surgical Specialists and Pediatrics in 2009, Family Medicine in 2010, and Cardiology in 2013. Express Care opened in 2011. The W.S. & E.C Jones Breast Care Center and W.S. & E. C. Jones Cardiovascular Lab opened in 2011 and 2013, respectively. In 2019, a new 19-bed emergency room and clinical decision unit, as well as a new on-site express care clinic opened. 2020 saw the expansion of Newman Regional Health’s Inpatient Rehabilitation unit from 7 to 10 beds and a pharmacy expansion that included the addition of a sterile compounding center. In 2021, Newman Therapy Services was relocated to join the hospital campus and a new simulated apartment suite was added to the Inpatient Rehabilitation unit in 2022.
The last 100 years have been full of growth and numerous technological advances. Newman Regional Health looks forward “to improving health in our communities by providing high quality healthcare” for the next 100 years!