When You Should Wear a Face Mask and How to Make Your Own During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
By: Katarina Knoff
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends that everyone, sick or healthy, should wear a cloth face mask in any place where it can be challenging to stay at least six feet away from others. This would include grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, etc. This is because many carriers of the virus experience no symptoms.
Face masks are a preventative measure to keep yourself and those around you at less risk to contract COVID-19. However, there is a shortage of healthcare supplies in some areas still. This we will cover how and when to use a mask and one of the ways that you can make your own from home.
How to Use a Mask:
- Thoroughly wash your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water each time before you put a mask on.
- Make sure that the mask covers your mouth and nose with no gaps.
- Try to avoid touching the mask while using it. If you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Once a mask is damp, replace it with a new one or wash it. Do not re-use single-use masks.
- Remove the mask from behind to avoid touching the front of the mask and clean your hands afterward.
When to Use a Mask, According to the World Health Organization:
- Wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
- Wear a mask if you are in an area where you may be within six feet of others.
- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
- Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning involving alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you wear a mask, dispose of it properly.
How to Properly Wear a Face Mask
It’s hard to know what’s right or wrong when wearing a face mask because it’s a new concept to many! Here are some simple tips on how to wear them correctly for the health of safety of you and others around you! Remember to wash them regularly.
How to Make your own Cloth Mask
Please visit our instructional page with patterns, suggested cloth materials and a video by clicking here.
Adult Face Mask Sewing Instructions
Size 9 x 6-inches
- One 9 x 6-inch piece of 100% cotton fabric
- One 9 x 6-inch piece of 100% cotton flannel for the backing
- Two 7-inch lengths of rope elastic with a knot tied at each end (1/8- and 1/4-inch flat elastic, twill tape, bias tape, hair ties with elastic, hair bands with elastic, non-silk ribbon, undergarment or jewelry elastic, loops made of 6” cloth strips, and fabric draw strings will also work.)
- CLICK HERE to download the instructions in a printer-friendly format
How to Make a No-Sew Face Mask
The simplest way to make your own face mask is to use the CDC’s no-sew method:
- Use a bandana or other square of cloth measuring about 20 inches on each side.
- Fold it in half.
- Fold the top third down and the bottom third up, so you have a long rectangle.
- Slide the rectangle through two rubber bands or elastic hair ties until they’re about six inches apart.
- Fold the sides of the fabric in toward the middle and tuck the ends together.
- Hook the elastics over your ears and adjust the material, so it’s snug against your face.