Auxiliary Scholarship Recipients Announced
(Emporia, KS) — Newman Regional Health Auxiliary has awarded $10,000 in scholarships to five area students pursuing an education in a health-related field. Each student will receive $1,000 per semester for the fall 2021 and spring 2022 academic semesters.
Newman Regional Health Auxiliary has provided more than 150 scholarships since its founding in 1955 and will have given more than $110,000 in scholarships since 2012. Scholarship funds are generated through fundraisers, donations, and purchases made in the Gift Shoppe and Snack Bar. The Auxiliary hopes to be able to provide for the hospital, community, and healthcare scholarship recipients for years to come.
“We received 19 applications. Our applicants always make it so challenging for the committee to pick who best fits the qualifications when so many of them are outstanding,” Scholarship Chair, Cindy Paul, said about the many great candidates.
The following are this year’s Newman Regional Health Auxiliary scholarship recipients:
- Emma Harmon graduated from Emporia High in 2016. Emma obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Health and Human Services at K-State and is looking to pursue a Doctorate in Audiology at KU Medical Center.
- Cassidy Isch is a Senior at Emporia State University working toward a BSN. Cassidy is a 2019 graduate from Coffey County with a long-term goal to be a Nurse Practitioner with an interest in obstetrics and gynecology or emergency care.
- Kyra Ohl graduated from Coffey County in 2021 and is a Freshman at Emporia State University pursuing a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology degree. Kyra’s goal is to work in a lab for infectious disease.
- Taylor Thomas is a 2019 graduate from Emporia High School and is currently a Junior at Emporia State University pursuing a Bachelor’s in Nursing degree. Taylor is working toward a Nurse Practitioner license and a future in pediatrics.
- Christine Zumbrunn is a Senior at Emporia State University working toward a Registered Nurse license. Christine graduated from St John’s High School in Beloit, KS and has worked as an LPN at Newman Regional Health for 15 years.
For additional information about the Newman Regional Health Auxiliary or questions about the scholarship program, please visit https://www.newmanrh.org/scholarships/ or call (620) 343-6800 ext. 22525.
# # #
About Newman Regional Health: Newman Regional Health is a not-for-profit 25-bed Critical Access Hospital owned by the citizens of Lyon County, Kansas. Recognized as a Level 4 Trauma Center, Newman Regional Health provides inpatient acute and medical rehabilitation services along with a full range of emergency and outpatient care to patients of all ages in Lyon County and surrounding areas in East Central Kansas. Newman Regional Health offers 24/7 care with a newly renovated, state-of-the-art 19-bed emergency room and 10-bed Clinical Decision Unit. With a mission to improve health in the community by providing high quality care and a vision to be a valued, trusted partner and regional provider of exemplary services, Newman Regional Health receives recognition as a top Critical Access Hospital each year.