Derek Brown, MD, MBA
Newman Regional Health Medical Partners Pediatrics
1301 West 12th Avenue.
Emporia, KS 66801
The Emporia Gazette 2021 Reader’s Choice Award
Dr. Derek Brown has been on the staff of Newman Regional Health as a Pediatrician for the inpatient general and nursery floors/intermediate care nursery as well as the outpatient multi-specialty clinic since 2009. Dr. Brown is a passionate physician and leader with 15 years of clinical experience in pediatrics and 11 years of extensive leadership expertise with the ability to confront issues tactfully and diplomatically in numerous medical specialties.
Prior to joining the Pediatric practice at Newman Regional Health, Dr. Brown cared for patients in Naperville, North and South Aurora communities in Illinois. Dr. Brown worked as a Pediatrician for the well-renowned Associate Pediatrics of Fox Valley, now the Rush Medical group, associated with Rush-Copley Medical Center.
Dr. Brown graduated with Magna cum laude honors from Ivy League Brown University in Providence, RI with a B.A. degree. Dr. Brown received a Doctor of Medicine degree from Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences/The Chicago Medical School in North Chicago, IL. Following graduation, Dr. Brown completed a Pediatric Residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago. After holding numerous leadership healthcare administrative positions, including Newman Regional Health’s Chief-of-Staff in 2013, Dr. Brown recently completed a Physicians MBA-Business of Medicine degree in 2021 from the Kelley School of Business in Indianapolis, IN.
Dr. Brown currently serves as the NRH Section Chief of Pediatrics and Family Medicine and NRH Co-Chair for the Infectious Disease Antimicrobial Stewardship. Dr. Brown was also appointed by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas in 2020 as Executive Chair to serve the Pediatric-Liaison Committee and leader-advocate for the state’s pediatricians.
Dr. Derek Brown has been my daughter’s health care provider since she was born. He’s so good, I wish he could be my health care provider as well He does a great job”Verified Patient – 2020
He was listening to me and was trying to help my child, and I appreciate that.Verified Patient – 2020
He is the best pediatrician that we’ve ever been to.Verified Patient – 2019
“He does great with my son. His office staff makes it very easy for my son.”Verified Patient – August 22, 2017
“He was the first doctor for my son that truly listened to my concerns and got to the bottom of his eczema. He has continued that great care to my other 3 children as well.”Verified Patient – March 3, 2017
“Dr Brown is very thorough and is good about giving information regarding any questions that we have…he gives you the whole picture and not just the immediate concern…Dr Brown has been our son’s pediatrician since he joined Newman and we highly recommend him! His office staff and nurses are great and we rarely wait and they are great about scheduling appointments!”Verified Patient – June 7, 2016
Derek Brown, MD is bilingual
Derek Brown, MD Personal Biography
Dr. Brown is an advocate for children of all ages and is driven to help them reach their highest potential. Dr. Brown works with parents and referred facilities to promote and maintain their physical, mental and emotional well-being. He has the understanding and patience to work with all children from healthy to critical illnesses or disabilities.
Dr. Brown enjoys working with families and is proactive in pediatric preventative medicine. Dr. Brown is an empathetic communicator, active listener, and is approachable with his patients while working in coordination with the city of Emporia and surrounding communities.
Dr. Brown is aligned with the newest information from the American Academy of Pediatrics, including new research and procedures, and is able to relay information to fellow parents when needed.
Dr. Brown has been happily married for 25 years to his beautiful wife, Lana and has a 20-year-old son, Dylan, who recently completed his Masters in Economics and International Business in 2021. Dr. Brown enjoys time with his family playing tennis and traveling. Overall, Dr. Brown is intelligent, open-minded, and dedicated to working with your child and family.
Derek Brown, MD Credentials and Education
- Brown University, Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude in Providence, RI.
- Doctor of Medicine degree from Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences/The Chicago Medical School in North Chicago, IL.
- Pediatric Residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago in Chicago, IL.
- Physicians MBA-Business of Medicine degree from the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University in Indianapolis, IN.
- Executive Chair, Pediatric-Liaison Committee, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas in 2020 in Topeka, KS.
Derek Brown, MD Licensure
- KS State Medical License
Derek Brown, MD Specialties
- Well child checks and routine physicals
- Acute care
- Chronic care management
- Hospital and ER follow-ups
- Sports and school physicals
- Establishing care visits
- Meet-and-greets for expecting parents
- Conditions and Diagnoses of Management
- Anxiety and Depression
- Behavioral/Mood problems
- Children and Youth with Special health care needs
- Circumcision consults
- Developmental delay and referrals
- Eating problems
- Gastrointestinal concerns (constipation, diarrhea and others)
- General eye, ear, nose and throat complaints
- Genital Urinary concerns (UTI, bedwetting, bladder issues)
- Headaches and Migraines
- Height and Weight management (obesity and failure to thrive)
- Minor head injuries/Concussions
- Minor musculoskeletal issues (sprained ankles, wrists, knee pain and others)
- Minor wound care (abscess, lacerations and abrasions)
- Newborn visits and routine screening
- Sick visits (sore throat, ear infections and respiratory illness’)
- Skin concerns (acne, jaundice, warts, congenital and acquired lesions)
- Sleeping issues (sleep apnea, initiating and maintaining sleep)
Derek Brown, MD Awards, Honors & Recognitions
- Dr. Brown was recently rewarded the 2021 Emporia Gazette Reader’s Choice Awards for Best Pediatrician in 7 counties and 19 cities/towns of Northeast Kansas. Dr. Brown has also published research articles found in Chest, Critical Care Medicine journals and numerous health care editorials published by Emporia Gazette.
- Member of Kansas Medical Society
- Member American Medical Association
- Member of American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member of American Association of Physician Leaders