About Newman Regional Health
For nearly 100 years, Newman Regional Health has continuously expanded and added new healthcare services to meet the needs of our community. Partnering with our medical staff, we continue to exceed state and national goals for clinical excellence and patient safety.
Newman Regional Health is a not-for-profit 25-bed critical access hospital, owned by the citizens of Lyon County Kansas. Our 10-bed acute inpatient medical rehabilitation unit offers patients the opportunity to recover from serious illness, injury or debility close to home, after treatment at Newman Regional Health or after returning from more distant facilities.
In 2019 our state-of-the-art, 19-bed emergency room, 10-bed Clinical Decision Unit, and 4-room express care clinic opened on our campus to better serve the patients of Lyon County, Kansas and surrounding communities 24 hours per day.
More than 70 specialty and primary care physicians and advanced practice providers work in our hospital and outpatient clinic to provide better access to a wider range of diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical services than any other critical access hospital in the state of Kansas.
600 clinical, professional and support services employees and 225 volunteers support our medical staff in fulfilling our mission “to improve health in our community by providing high-quality care”.
Ranked among the Top 70 Critical Access Hospitals in the United States for 5 consecutive years and among the Top 10 Hospitals of any size in Kansas, Newman Regional Health is proud to call Emporia Kansas our home.
View Newman Regional Health’s audited financial statement by clicking HERE
Located in the heart of the famous Bluestem Region, Emporia, Kansas is known as the Front Porch to the Flint Hills. Open prairie stretches for miles with its tall grass prairie and peaceful rolling hills.
As the official founding city of Veteran’s Day, Emporia is also home to the National Teachers Hall of Fame, Granada Theater, Emporia Arts Council, and William Allen White, nationally known writer and journalist. Emporia State University serves 6,500 students in nationally recognized undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Visitation Restrictions
To ensure the safety of our patients, visitors, physicians, and colleagues, Newman Regional Health has implemented the following visitation restrictions – click here
Visitor Inquiries and Outside Phone Calls
The patient’s family, friends, clergy and others may obtain the location (room number) of a patient by calling (620) 343-6800 and asking for the patient by name.
Depending upon the patient’s privacy choice to be included in the Patient Directory, information may or may not be able to be provided.
If a patient chooses to be included in the Patient Directory, their location (room number) may be provided if the patient is asked for by name. A patient can also receive telephone calls, mail and deliveries.
A patient may choose to not be included in the Patient Directory. If this option is selected by the patient, mail, flowers, gifts, cards or deliveries will be refused.
During this time of visitation restrictions, you always can send a free patient greeting card to a current inpatient.
Greeting cards are a convenient way of showing your support, staying in touch, and lifting spirits.
Access your health information, test results, medications, appointments, reports and more
Newman Regional Health provides access to your patient records through the use of our patient portal – MyHealth Info and a smartphone app called MHealth. You can access the patient portal on the web and find more information on the MHealth App by clicking HERE.
Non-English speaking patients
Newman Regional Health is proud to offer advanced Video Remote Interpreting from Propio Language Services, LLC.
Newman Regional Health has used over-the-phone interpreting in the past but recently introduced a new feature that allows physicians to pull the translator up on video, functioning as a closer, face-to-face conversation than the telephone allows. The service, and its companion phone app is more immediate than tracking down an interpreter and in the event of an emergency, the time saved may be vital.
The service provides Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) for American Sign Language (ASL) and the most frequently-requested spoken languages including Spanish.
Interpretation services are provided at no cost to our patients.
Application for Charity Care
Authorization to release your healthcare information to other individuals, companies or healthcare providers
Newman Regional Health’s Privacy Practices
Download a copy of our visitors guide:
Including floor plans and parking map.
Patient Pricing Information
Patient Accounts Department
Contact: 620-343-6800 extension 21153
Understanding pricing and charges
Newman Regional Health understands that hospital pricing and charges can be complex and difficult to understand. With many different factors influencing pricing and charges, we are committed to providing patients and family members information to help understand hospital charges.
Federal law requires hospitals to charge the same amount for the same service or supply provided to each patient as a condition of participation in the federal Medicare program. What a patient owes for a hospital procedure or service can vary greatly, depending on health insurance coverage, eligibility for state or federal programs, and each individual’s own personal situation.
How to get an estimate of out-of-pocket costs
Please note that this is an estimate of the charges for services listed. The Estimated Patient Payment is based on information from your insurance company and current pricing, Additional charges may apply if your physician changes the ordered services. This estimate does not include durable medical equipment, physician, surgeon, anesthesiologist, pathologist or radiologist services. Those fees are billed separately by their respective billing agents and are not covered by any discount offer or estimate.
If you are unable to pay the Estimated Patient Payment, please do not cancel any service that your doctor has ordered or scheduled. Our Financial Counselors will assist you in evaluating payment options or applying for financial assistance.
A medical emergency is defined as a sudden and unexpected sickness or injury. In the absence of immediate medical attention, a reasonable person could believe this condition would result in death, placing one’s health in jeopardy, serious impairment of bodily functions, serious dysfunction of any body part or organ, serious jeopardy to the health of a fetus. If you believe you have a Medical Emergency, report to an Emergency Room immediately or call 911.
Financial Assistance, partial payments, uninsured
There are a variety of financial assistance options available that may help pay all or a portion of your hospital charges.
Please call 620-343-6800 extension 21153 and speak with a financial counselor to discuss the options that may apply to your personal situation.
Newman Regional Health applies a 20% discount to uninsured patients. In order to apply for Financial Assistance from Newman Regional Health, please download and complete the proper form below and contact one of our financial counselors to review your case:
ENGLISH Form – Download PDF
SPANISH Form – Download PDF
Understanding out of pocket costs
- The financial counselors at Newman Regional Health can help you estimate your healthcare costs that will take into consideration various discounts, deductibles, co-pays and other factors. Estimating total expense is a complex task and may be required for different procedures, visits, tests, and treatments.
- If you are covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or a private insurance plan they establish your cost-sharing obligations.
- Your payer is the best source of information on what your individual cost will be for a given service.
- If you wish for Newman Regional Health staff to help you estimate your out of pocket costs, please call 620-343-6800 extension 21153 and ask to speak with a financial counselor.
- This process may need to be repeated, as the course of your care and the status of your deductible obligation may change during this process.
Hospital pricing resources
These guides from the Healthcare Financial Management Association are designed to help consumers understand where to get answers to their questions about health care prices, compare prices among providers, and manage their out-of-pocket costs.
Patients with health insurance
- Health insurance will pay for many of your health services, but not all of them.
- Begin by contacting your insurance company to understand your insurance policy’s deductible, co-payment, coinsurance, and maximum out-of-pocket levels.
- Double-check the network status, this will help you avoid out-of-network penalties.
- Obtain pre-certification or referral approvals prior to your hospital service as some insurers require this to avoid your policy’s penalties and additional charges.
- Insurance companies contract with hospitals to negotiate various discounts not reflected in the hospital charge list. If an insurance company is not in-network/contracted with Newman Regional Health, this will result in a higher out-of-pocket expense.
Patients with Medicare
- Medicare will pay for many of your health services, but not all of them. Medicare does not pay hospitals based on charges, but instead pays according to pre-established rates depending on the services you receive. Your Medicare deductibles and coinsurance are also pre-established based on the services you receive.
- If you have a Medicare supplemental insurance policy, it may pay all or a portion of your Medicare deductibles and coinsurance.
- Special rules apply if you or your spouse has health insurance coverage through an employer.
- Special rules also apply if you have coverage through a Medicare Managed Care plan.
- Contact your Medicare Managed Care plan to understand your deductible, co-payment, coinsurance and maximum out-of-pocket levels.
- To avoid out-of-network penalties, check to see if you are required to use hospitals that are in the Medicare Managed Care plan’s network.
- You can contact Medicare at www.medicare.gov.
Patients with Medicaid or Medicaid Managed Care plans
- Medicaid will pay for many of your health services, but not all of them. Medicaid does not pay hospitals based on charges, but instead pays according to pre-established rates depending on the services you receive.
- A few services have minimal pre-established co-pays that are your responsibility to pay. Co-pays will not apply if you are in a Medicaid Managed Care Plan.
About Standard Charges
- Our hospital charge list is a snapshot of prices representing our best information at this time.
- Some prices listed do change periodically throughout the year depending upon market conditions. These prices are determined at the time of service.
- Because each person’s health needs are different, the average charges shown will depend on the individual’s specific situation. Each patient’s circumstances are different, and a patient’s charge will not necessarily be the same as the average charge.
- “Charge” is not the same as what you may owe. “Charge” is the amount billed for a service. A patient’s amount due is based on insurance coverage, copay, and co-insurance. To estimate what you may owe for services, click here
- All professional charges (surgeons, radiologists, anesthesiologists, pathologists, and emergency room physician, etc.) are billed separately and are not included in the average charges shown.
Visiting Hours & Guidelines
To ensure the safety of our patients, visitors, physicians, and colleagues, Newman Regional Health has implemented the following visitation restrictions until further notice – click here
Including floor plans and parking map.
Send Patient Greetings
Newman Regional Health offers easy-to-send patient greeting cards for loved ones and friends to share words of support and encouragement to current inpatients. Even if you have already visited or sent a gift, greeting cards are another way of showing your support, staying in touch, and lifting spirits.
Complete the following form and our friendly staff will print and hand-deliver your message as quickly as possible during business hours Monday through Friday. Greeting card requests received on a weekend or holiday will be delivered to patients the next business day. Greeting cards will not be able to be delivered to patients that have been discharged/transferred and are no longer at Newman Regional Health.
Contents should not be considered confidential, and messages deemed inappropriate by Newman Regional Health will not be delivered.
If you have any questions regarding this service, please contact us.
Dining at Newman Regional Health
Newman Regional Health’s café is located near the east lobby. Our café offers food service for patients, family, visitors, and staff. A hot food line, as well as deli, soup, and salad bar are available Monday-Friday.
Adequate seating is available in the café for patients and visitors to dine together. Visitors are welcome to purchase food from the café and take their tray to a patient’s room. We are unable to include the price of café purchases on a patient’s bill.
Newman Café Hours
Breakfast: Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM – 10 AM
Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11 AM – 1:45 PM
Supper: Café is closed but Grab & Go Supper Boxes are available after 4 PM daily in the Sunflower Conference Room
Auxiliary Snack Bar Hours
Located just inside Entrance F/Patient Tower, near the Gift Shoppe
Monday – Friday, 10 AM – 2 PM
Things to enjoy in the snack bar:
Freshly baked donuts from a local bakery
Homemade cinnamon rolls
Daily homemade baked items including pie, cookies, cake, etc.
Famous ham salad sandwiches
So MUCH MORE!!!
All proceeds from the snack bar benefit Newman Regional Health services, equipment, and Auxiliary scholarship funds.
Newman Regional Health Auxiliary and Volunteer Program
Newman Regional Health is grateful for the energetic volunteers in our Auxiliary. Founded in 1955, this group of men and women provide a variety of valuable services. Working beside our highly skilled hospital staff, these devoted volunteers donate their time and energy to make our patients’ stay as pleasant as possible. Their smiling faces greet visitors, all the while making everyone feel welcome.
The Auxiliary members help fund various programs
- The contributions by the volunteers help raise funds for:
- Equipment purchases
- Facility improvement
- Meeting support
- Employee Comfort programs
Auxiliary members provide many of the optional services for our patients’ convenience and comfort.
- Staff our Gift Shoppe
- Staff our Snack bar, baking goodies and making our famous Ham Salad!
- Greet patients and visitors at our reception and information desks
- Deliver mail and information to our staff
No matter your skillset, there is a place for you as a Newman Regional Health Auxiliary member.
Carolyn Hossfeld, President
Jan McClendon, Vice-President
Mary Tholen, Treasurer
Vickie Dinkle, Assistant-Treasurer
Lynn Lang, Secretary
1201 W. 12th Ave
Emporia, KS 66801
Scholarships are awarded to individuals who pursue an education in an area of healthcare including but not limited to, the areas of pharmacy, laboratory, radiology, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, nursing, and applicable non-clinical healthcare fields. Learn More
We have many different ideas and gifts for your friend or loved one!
Handmade knitted/crocheted baby blankets, Halo® SleepSacks®, bubble gum cigars, soft plush animals, socks, and much more!
A huge variety of stuffed animals with a unique inventory.
We offer assorted flower arrangements that can be ordered and delivered to patient rooms or others in the facility.
Angels, Jewelry, Home decor, Snoozies, Legacy Greeting Cards, Seasonal gifts, Claey’s Old Fashioned Candy, Purses
All proceeds benefit Newman Regional Health services, equipment, and Auxiliary scholarship funds.
Gift Shoppe Hours
Tuesday – Friday: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Saturday – Monday: Closed
The Gift Shoppe is located in the east lobby of Newman Regional Health. Enter through the Visitors / Patient Tower entrance (Entrance F).
Order a Gift by Phone
To order an item for delivery to a patient or employee, please call the Gift Shoppe at (620) 343-6800, ext. 21172. Our Gift Shoppe volunteers are happy to place your order with a credit card and deliver it for you. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
Newman Regional Health does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or age in admission, treatment, or participation in its programs, services, and activities, or in employment. In case of questions, please contact Director of Human Resources, (620) 343-6800, or the Kansas Department of Health and Environment at (800) 842-0078.
All interpreters, translators, and other communication aids shall be provided without cost to the person being served, and patients/clients and their families will be informed of the availability of such assistance free of charge.
We work to promote healthy living and provide comprehensive care and services for each and every patient who walks through the door. Contact us to learn more about our services and how we can help you enrich your life through high quality care and education.