“They saw the best equipped hospital in the West. They saw a beautiful building architecturally, and they saw an interior decorated with taste, altogether a thing of beauty that shall be a joy forever.” – Emporia Gazette, March 6, 1922, on the open house.
Since 1922, Newman Regional Health has been a vital part of healthcare for a seven county area surrounding Emporia, Kansas. The Emporia Gazette used the Winston Churchill quote, “We live not by what we have, but by what we give,” on March 5, 1922 to describe George Newman’s generous contribution.
The original 81-bed hospital was built largely as the result of a $50,000 bequest left by Mr. George Newman, a local businessman. Additional funds were raised with a two-year tax levy, and the hospital opened on March 6, 1922. The hospital is named in honor of both Mr. Newman and the county.
Since the hospital opened, there has been a nursing school, currently the Emporia State University Newman Division of Nursing, located on the east side of the hospital campus.
Improving facilities and community service included the additions of the:
- East Wing, 1951
- West Wing, 1963
- South Wing, 1980
- 5.9 million dollar renovation of the first floor, 1996
- Newman Medical Plaza, 1996
- A connector building between the Newman Medical Plaza and the hospital, 2002
- Same Day Surgery Unit and Registration Area, 2002
- The Central Care Cancer Center, 2003
- Breast Care Center, 2012
- W.S. & E.C. Jones Cardiovascular Lab, 2013
- New Emergency Room and Clinical Decision Unit, 2018
- New Express Care Clinic, 2018
- Expansion of Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit, 2020
Planning for the future of community healthcare:
- Pharmacy expansion and renovation, underway in 2020
- Pharmacy Sterile Compounding Center, underway in 2020
- Outpatient Physical Therapy Center, underway in 2020
Working with other healthcare providers, the hospital will continue to be a leader in improving the health of our community.